Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dirty Little Secret

Dear Friends and Family,

I have something to tell you: I’ve been less than honest.

You know how when we’re with Strangers Who Ask Me What I Do and I say with an ironic smile that “I’m blissfully unemployed”? And you laugh nervously and quickly step in to say, with obvious pride, “Actually, Melissa is a Writer," lest the Stranger get the wrong impression?

You know how when it’s just us, when the Stranger is not around, and you ask me what I’m working on? And you are so careful not to show your concern and so I’m real careful to sound all excited and confident as I tell you about my collection of short stories? And how I might turn one of the stories into a novel? And about my ideas for a science-related nonfiction book?

Bear with me. This is hard.




I’m not really doing any of that.

Don’t get me wrong. I want to be doing all those things. I think about them all the time. Then I spend all day at my desk not doing any of it.

Here’s how it works:

  • I shuffle to the kitchen and make my coffee, shuffle over to my desk and sit down to write.
  • Decide I should ease into it - check email, pay bills, surf a little. (Oo, is it Thursday? New posts up at Savage Love at www.thestranger.com and Dear Prudence at www.slate.com, my two favorite advice columnists.) Read other snarky social and political commentary on Slate. Check the headlines on CNN.com and Charlotte.com.
  • Realize I’ve been surfing for an hour, tell myself I should write.
  • Play solitaire. Twenty minutes pass. Tell myself I should be writing. Give myself ten more minutes or a winning hand, whichever comes first.
  • Win the next hand.
  • Deal a new hand immediately. (I said ten more minutes didn’t I?) An hour later, I CRTL-Q, disgusted with myself.
  • Go make a sandwich and think about all the writing I’m going to do after lunch.
  • Ease into writing by throwing in a load of laundry, answering emails.
  • Play solitaire, pretending that I am letting all my ideas "percolate".
  • Meet friends for happy hour and tell everyone how well the writing is going.
  • Hate myself.
This goes on all day every day until a couple of days (ok, hours) before a deadline. Then I will work like mad in as much time as I’ve left myself, producing some work that will pass, but which I am never happy with. It’s never my best effort. Still, like I said, it’ll do. It’s like my mind knows exactly how much time I need to make something that won’t embarrass me.

Procrastination as a productivity tool - who knew?

But now I have no more deadlines. I have graduated and the freelance contract I had has ended. As you’ve heard, it’s not like I don’t have projects to work on. I don’t lack ideas. I don’t lack time, I don’t lack money (for now).

What I lack is discipline.

The stakes are high. I love my life. I have a sunny little apartment in an old building that’s been refurbished beautifully. The french doors by my desk look out on the lush green of well-established trees in this little hamlet of a neighborhood. My living room and dining room are lined with bookcases. My kitchen windows overlook the pool, and it’s like having a window on Melrose Place (but with more skin). My commute consists of walking down the hall (but only if I want to). I can work in my pajamas (and often do). I can schedule lunch dates every day (two or three times a week is more common); take the afternoon off and go to the park (I have never done this, but I like knowing I could.)

You get the idea. . . You can imagine why the longer I am out of corporate 9-to-5 office job, the less I can imagine ever going back.

I’m doing what I really want to be doing.

Correction: I have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see if I can make a living out of doing what I want to be doing. Every day I sit down at my desk, and I don’t do it.
I don’t even know if I could sell or publish any of these projects; What I do know is there’s not even a chance of publishing if I don’t write something. (It turns out that putting words on paper is a critical part of the job description of a writer.)

How can I want something so badly, and not be able to do it?

My new project is to find out.

Welcome to the Procrastination Chronicles.

6 comments:

Duke1351 said...

Question on solitaire; have you formulated a strategy? At least you haven't taken up online poker.

Melissa Wrenne said...

What's a "strategy"? I'm not familiar with that word. . .

emc said...

Did I write this blog in my sleep and change my name?

Oh Wrenne, we have the same blood lazily flowing in our veins.

Here's what I have discovered, being gainfully unemployed (i have coined that phrase because, come on, it's f%#@ing gainful to watch birds land in your yard all day long): if I am too happy, I don't write.

Your life is beautiful - enjoy it. It will be over too soon. Someone once said you either live life or write about it. I refuse to accept this!

What was I just saying? Project Runway is on.

Oh yes, life being too good and it making you comfortable and lazy. I find I write best when desperate, or when I have an assignment.

Try this:
right after pouring your coffee, go first to the Poets & Writers submissions calendar and see what deadlines are coming up. Some of the thematic ones get my juices flowing (also the idea of winning some money). Also get duotrope.com on your bookmarks and check it daily for theme submissions.

Screw Slate. Those people are asinine. You are smarter and funnier than they are. Take a break from outside stimulus. And break the Solitaire habit. I'm with you. Call if you feel weak. Like an AA sponsor.

Melissa Wrenne said...

Oh god, now I have to be smart AND funny??

Kill me now.

Deucerman said...

At least you're not as bad off as this guy. (Though, I have to admit, this was difficult to read.)

My tip: Go out and write. You have an insatiable mind: it must be fed. But instead of feeding it with webfood, feed it with life, that is, the life around you. Do this by getting to a coffee shop, bar, park bench, or other place-that-is-not-your-awesome-apartment, making sure there is absolutely no web access, flipping open your laptop, and writing. Important: Allow yourself to be occasionally, momentarily distracted by a bird, a disgusting wad of gum on the floor, a colorful tramp stamp, or any other visual stimuli passing by or sitting right in front of you. Variant: Print the story (or phrase, sentence, or paragraph that is begging to become a story), load up a notebook, leave the webshackle behind, and go out and write the old fashioned way. I do this whenever I hit a logjam, and sometimes it even works.

egl said...

deucerman said it all, succinctly well. Try what he says. Keep us posted on your progress. Of course, After your allotted writing for the day.